When it is necessary for an MHS student to miss class, either a phone call or a note from a parent/guardian to the attendance office must confirm the absence within 24 hours of the absence.
Attendance Phone Number and Voice Mail System: (626) 817-4001
Information provided must state:
- Name of student
- Date(s) and duration of absence
- Specific reason for absence
- Identify yourself (i.e. relationship to student).
When an absence occurs, the student is responsible for any class work missed and must arrange with the teacher to make up assignments, tests and quizzes.
Please note – declaring a student to be unexcused is an administrative right of appropriate school personnel, not a student/parent prerogative. Therefore, just because a parent calls or sends a note to report a student’s absence, that does not make the absence excused.
Maranatha High School defines excused absences as:
- Illness (with a phone call or note from parent/guardian)
- Professional appointments (medical, dental, legal); these appointments should be scheduled outside of school hours whenever possible
- Extreme personal matter (i.e. bereavement)
- Verified school functions (field trips, clubs, sports, performances, and/or student extracurricular activities approved by administration) *
- College visits (approved by the Guidance Department and cleared by current teachers at least two days prior to the absence) *
- Disciplinary Suspensions
*Note: Verified School Functions and College Visits will be excused for students in good academic and attendance standing. For more information on college visits, see “College Visits” within this section of the handbook. For information about how schoolwork is affected by excused absences, see the “Homework” section of Academic Life: Essentials Section in the Student Handbook.
Unexcused absences include absences for all reasons other than those listed for excused absence. For information about schoolwork is affected by unexcused absences, see the “Homework” section of Academic Life: Essentials Section in the Student Handbook.
Approved Extended Absences
Extended absences (3 or more days) require prior written request from the parent/guardian to be submitted to the Dean of Students for approval. The request must be submitted at least three days prior to the extended absence. Approved extended absences may not exceed more than 5 school days. Vacations should be scheduled when school is not in session. For information about schoolwork is affected by approved extended absences, see the “Homework” section of Academic Life: Essentials Section in the Student Handbook.
Credit Loss Due To Excessive Absences
Fifteen (15) absences in a semester from any class, excused or unexcused, will result in a credit loss for that class. This includes all absences, excused and/or unexcused, except school functions sanctioned by administration. Extenuating circumstances will be reviewed by the school Administration.